KCBS Rules and Regulations — Pro Division
The Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) sanctions the competition and all KCBS Rules will apply. Once we have received your entry form, you will receive a list of the Kansas City Barbeque Society Rules and Regulations. Visit the KCBS website to download a copy of the 2015 KCBS Rules and Regulations.
Important: Fire must be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. No electric or gas.
KCBS Judging Procedures
- Judging will be done by a team of 6 persons per table, who are at least 16 years of age.
- Each judge will rate the sample for TENDERNESS, TASTE AND APPEARANCE and score from 9 to 1 point for EACH.
- Results will be tallied. If there is a tie, it will be broken per KCBS procedure.
KCBS Instructions for Submitting Samples for Judging
Judging will start at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday afternoon and will be done on a category basis in the following order:
- Sauce.......11:30 a.m.
- Chicken.....12 p.m.
- Ribs........12:30 p.m.
- Pork........1 p.m.
- Brisket.....1:30 p.m.
- Dessert.....2 p.m.
- Turn in your sample on time.
- Submit enough of your entry to feed 6 judges and place in container.
- Remember, APPEARANCE is one of the judging criteria.
- If you cover your meat with sauce, it will be judged THAT way.
- Garnish is limited to green leaf (no red tipped) lettuce and common curly parsley only. Any embellishments will be removed, and your entry will be given only 1 point for Appearance. This means NO aluminum foil.