We are now accepting 2015 Backyard Applications!
The backyard division of Riverfest is just as competitive as the pro side of the competition and just as popular too. The backyard division sold out in advance last year, and we expect to do the same this year. Those of you bringing RV's will need to bring your own power source for your RV.
Backyard teams will compete in the chicken and ribs (spare ribs or baby back) and will can participate in the optional dessert category. KCBS (Kansas City Barbeque Society) rules apply for this competition.
Teams will be allowed to start setting up Thursday, Sept. 10 at 8 a.m. Meat will be inspected on Friday, Sept. 11, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The turn-in times will be 12 p.m for chicken and 12:30 p.m. for ribs on Saturday, Sept. 12.
Register for the 2015 Riverfest Backyard division by mail or online. There are a limited number of spots available, so we advise you to register early before they are gone.
Send completed application and check to:
P.O. Box 1026
Decatur, AL 35602
Backyard Division Entry Fees
Your entry fee includes your cooking site and four weekend armbands.
10x10 Cook Site: $150
20x20 Cook Site: $200
20x40 RV/Camper Site: $250
What Your Entry Fee Covers
Your entry fee includes:
- All teams will be issued four weekend armbands. This will allow four people full access to Riverfest activities.
- There will be access to electricity at each site and access to water nearby. We will have a water tank of non-potable water for washing pots and pans. Teams are responsible for a means to transport the water to their cook site.
- All parking will be in the parking lot next to the competition area. If a team has purchased a 20x20 spot they can park one vehicle at their area.
- Team spots will be based on a first-come, first-served basis according to the order the Decatur Jaycees receive the registration form and check. If teams would like to have more room, multiple spots can be purchased.
- Teams cannot bring beer to the contest. Cases of beer will be available for sale on site.
- All cooking must be done on the team spots.
- Ice is available for purchase on site.
- Teams are responsible for bringing something to secure their tents. The concrete in the site area is too thick to drive stakes in to secure your EZ-Ups etc.
- There will be a mandatory cooks meeting Friday, Sept. 11 at 5 p.m.
- 11:30 a.m.: Sauce
- 12 p.m.: Chicken
- 12:30 p.m.: Ribs
- 1 p.m.: Dessert
Prizes and awards
We will award trophies, ribbons and money in each of the two categories. The top 3 in each category will be announced. A team must participate in both categories to be eligible for Grand Champion. Money will be allocated based on total team entries. Part of the awards money will be used to buy trophies and ribbons.
Total prize amounts to be determined.